I have learned a lot in the past couple of years and I can honestly say that I have grown into a better person. I used to be such an unhappy person who always relied on other people to make me happy and I always needed to be around someone to have fun. I now love myself and I am perfectly content spending time by myself. I think a lot people take themselves for granted by always worrying about making other people happy, and there is nothing wrong with making others happy. We just have to learn to make ourselves happy first and learn to say ‘no’ every once in a while. So here are a few things I do to make myself happy. If you find yourself not feeling happy, give these a shot!
- Make yourself a delicious meal or treat. There’s something special about cooking food that you enjoy and nourishing your body. Cooking and baking can be so much fun and usually brings me joy. Especially if I make desserts!
2. Pamper yourself. Pampering yourself not only makes you feel great, it also makes you look great! I am a huge fan of using face masks. They make my skin look and feel great! My favorite mask is the Glamglow Super Mud mask. After I wash off my mask I love to use Marula Oil to moisturize my face. Doing your nails and taking baths are also relaxing and make you feel good!
3. Read a good book. I think most of us are usually stuck on our phones or computers scrolling through social media. It’s nice to unplug and take a break. Reading is always a great option because it doesn’t require a screen and it’s a little escape from life and the internet.
4. Start a gratitude journal. When I was little, my auntie bought me and my sisters journals to write what we were thankful for everyday. We had them before we could write, so we would draw pictures of what we were thankful for and someone would write in words for us. It’s a nice daily of reminder of what great things you have in your life. This is sure to make you happy!
And yes, that is a unicorn pen on my notebook!
5. Go for a walk. Taking a walk outside is such a great thing to do even if you are already in a happy mood. Try it without music and listen to all the birds and sounds of nature. It is so relaxing! If you go in the evening, you’ll even be able to catch the sunset!
6. Find a hobby that you can do alone. As awesome as it is to have hobbies that you can do with others, it is always good to have one that can be done solo. Having a hobby you can do alone allows you to do it when you are available and not have to wait for when someone else is available. Plus, you can do it how you want!
Spending time alone is so important because it helps you do things for yourself and it helps you love yourself. You know how people always say, “You can’t expect someone to love you if you don’t love yourself.” That is totally true! Just how you can’t really fall in love with someone if you don’t spend one-on-one time with them, it’s the same with yourself. Know that it is never selfish to take some much needed “me time” and to take it regularly. Take care of yourself, pamper yourself, and be thankful for who you are.
I hope you found this helpful. Thanks for reading!
Love, Lisa ❤